PADDLING CUYABENO - 5 DAYS / 4 NIGHTS
“EASY ACTIVE RATING” 2 DAYS PADDLING MAXIMUM 20 Km (12 Miles ) PER DAY
FOR NATURE LOVERS ONLY – WITH 1 NIGHT CAMPING AND 3 NIGHTS ACCOMMODATION IN OUR COMFORTABLE AGUAS NEGRAS RIVER LODGE
DAY 1. – LAGO AGRIO – AGUARICO RIVER – CUYABENO RIVER – AGUAS NEGRAS RIVER LODGE
Your journey stars with a 2 hour drive from Lago Agrio (9:30am) to “Tierras Orientales” Village at shore of the Aguarico River. Here we´ll start our fantastic Amazon Rainforest experience by navigating on a motorized canoe downstream along this beautiful white water river. After approximately 2.5 hours of navigation we´ll arrive at the mouth of the Cuyabeno River, a small and breathtaking black water river which is a tributary of the Aguarico. During this first relaxing journey we`ll make a stop for a delicious picnic lunch and if you wish, a refreshing swim. We´ll continue navigating upstream along the Cuyabeno river to our Aguas Negras River Lodge (45 min approx.) During this journey we´ll have great chances of watching wildlife including the legendary pink and the grey Fresh water Dolphins (Inia geoffrensis and Sotalia fluviatilis). Our staff will welcome you with a cold drink before accompany you to your cabin. At night and before dinner we`ll take a short hike where it is possible to see giant insects, spiders, snakes and enjoy the fantastic sounds of the night life in the Amazon. Return to the Lodge. Dinner
DAY 2.- AGUAS NEGRAS RIVER LODGE – PUERTO MONTUFAR – CAMPSITE
Early in the morning and by motorized canoe we´ll navigate towards a place called “Saladero” or Salt licks (Clay Licks) where Parrots of different species show up at these sites in large numbers to get the minerals they need to help digest some toxics they have consumed together with their diet. Under favorable conditions and with some luck we´ll enjoy this natural spectacle. We´ll also visit the impressive Bird Watching tower, built around a giant Ceiba Pentandra tree, this tower is the tallest in the Cuyabeno wildlife Reserve.
After an hearty breakfast we´ll navigate by motorized canoe upstream Cuyabeno river to “Puerto Montufar” our starting point of your fantastic paddling experience. After introductions, we’ll distribute group gear and provisions before loading the paddling canoes. We will also take as much time as you need to pack and load your personal gear. Before starting, we’ll have a quick briefing covering the day’s itinerary and a review of paddling canoes safety procedures. After this orientation we´ll start our fantastic Amazon Rainforest experience by paddling canoes downstream along this beautiful Black water River. During this quieter and enjoyable journey you´ll have great chances of observing wildlife including Monkeys, Parrots and Macaws. After approximately 5 hours of soft paddling we´ll arrive at our camping place at the shore of the river. During this first journey we`ll make a stop for a delicious picnic lunch and if you wish, a refreshing swim.
Upon arrival we will unload the boats and set up our camp. Welcome drink. Relaxing time at the camp. In the night and by motorized canoe we´ll navigate on Cuyabeno River searching for night wildlife which includes Night birds, Snakes, Bats, Caimans, Frogs and more. Return to the campsite and Dinner.
Paddling distance 20Km (12 miles)
DAY 3.- CAMPSITE – AGUAS NEGRAS RIVER LODGE
After an early breakfast and by motorized canoe we´ll explore Aguas Negras River a small beautiful tributary of the cuyabeno River (level of river and weather permitting). This area is a pristine Rainforest with little impact from human activity.During this bird watching experience we´ll have great chances of observing many of the 500 species of birds that exists in the Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve.
After breakfast we break camp and load the boats to start paddling downstream Cuyabeno River towards Aguas Negras River Lodge with great chances of spotting wildlife. During the way we´ll enjoy our picnic lunch and a refreshing swim in the river.
Upon arrival at the comfortable Aguas Negras River Lodge you will be accommodate. Time to relax at the lodge. At night and before dinner we can take a second night walk near the lodge. Dinner.
Paddling distance 9KM (5.6 miles)
DAY 4.- AGUAS NEGRAS RIVER LODGE
After breakfast we´ll start our day with a hike in the marvelous primary Amazon rainforest, one of the most biologically rich places on Earth. Here our experienced naturalist guide will explain to us the use of plants for the native´s survival. During the walk we´ll also have a chance to admire the majestic Kapoc (Ceiba Pentandra) a giant tree that towers over the rest of the forest. After the walk we´ll have time for a refreshing swim.
Today for lunch we´ll enjoy “Maito” a typical delicious traditional Kichwa meal. The Maito is an Amazonian dish that consists of a wrap of fish meat, chontakuru; vegetables such as palmito, chontaduro (fruit of the palm) or yuyo scribble (edible fern that grows in the Amazon); fish and vegetables are seasoned with salt and wrapped in bijao leaves (llaki panga). After Lunch it will be a time for relax at the camp. Late in the afternoon we´ll paddle downstream Cuyabeno until the sun sets over a beautiful landscape. Return to the Lodge. Dinner.
DAY 5. – AGUAS NEGRAS RIVER LODGE – AGUARICO RIVER – LAGO AGRIO
Early in the morning we´ll go for a walk in primary forest with good chances of watching fantastic wildlife. After breakfast we´ll prepare ourselves for departing. By motorized canoe we´ll navigate downstream along the Cuyabeno River to its mouth in the great Aguarico River with more chances of watching wildlife including fresh water dolphins. From the mouth of Cuyabeno River we´ll continue upstream along the white waters of Aguarico River. Our motorized canoe will take us to the Secoya Native territory where we´ll enjoy our picnic lunch. From here a short trip by canoe will take us to Tierras Orientales village from where our car will drive us back to the City of Lago Agrio (arrival at about 4 pm.) for you to take a bus or flight back to Quito.
Navigation time and distance by motorized canoe: 4 hours on 94Km (58 miles).
RECOMMENDED PERSONAL EQUIPMENT
You must bring your original Passport, Long-sleeved Cotton T-shirts, T-shirts, Cotton socks, Shorts, Sandals or walking shoes, Light wind-breaker, First aid kit, Swimming suit and towel, biodegradable soap, Hat or cap, Sunglasses with a strap, One small waterproof daypack, Insect repellent, Sun block and Sunburn lotion, Zip lock plastic bags, Camera and spare camera batteries, Flashlight (torch) with spare batteries, Binoculars, Notepad/pen.
Sleeping in a tent is the closest that you can be to the nature; you will hear fantastic sounds of the Jungle life during the day and the concert of insects during the night. The tents are spacious and for single, matrimonial or double accommodation and are provided with camping mattresses, pillows, bed sheets and towels.
In order to maximize your Rainforest experience we manage small groups of maximum 10 people per guide.
Transportation from Lago Agrio – Cuyabeno Reserve – Lago Agrio, motorized canoe and paddling canoes, experienced bilingual naturalist guide, Accommodation in Aguas Negras River Lodge, Tents, bedding, camping mattress, rubber boots (up to No 45), life jackets, raincoat (Poncho), Biodegradable soap in the Lodge only, Lunch and dinner on the first day, Three meals a day on the next few days and breakfast and lunch on the last day, purified bottled water, Tea, Coffee, airport and bus station transfers in Lago Agrio.
Your transport Quito – Lago Agrio – Quito, Accommodation and meals in Lago Agrio, Additional beverages, Bird watching tower $5entrance fee, tips.
- Please remember that Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve is a stunning area, one of the most complex and biodiverse richest places on earth that contains a great amount of wildlife. We will explore a Pristine Rain Forest area where a few tourists visit and few native people live, therefore chances of watching wildlife are great. Every day by canoe and on foot we´ll be searching for wildlife including Macaws, Parrots, Toucans, Monkeys, Freshwater dolphins, Caimans and Anacondas. However observing wildlife in their natural environment depends of factors that include weather conditions and some luck.
- You will be walking slowly in primary forest on trails opened by the natives that in some areas implies crossing by flooded and muddy areas, in general the terrain is flat and do not demand much effort. A maximum walking time is of approximate 3 hours at a time.
- Please remember that the name Rainforest comes precisely from the 4000mm (about 12 feet) of rain it receives a year.
- Our motorized canoes or paddling canoes do not have roof so please expect heavy rain at any time.
- Our paddling canoes are for 3 people and have great stability and versatility enhancing your enjoyment on the water.
- Our motorized canoes are comfortable and provided with sits for two people each one with cushions.
- Your luggage will be covered and protected against rain water. During all the navigation
journeys you`ll always have access to cold drinks.
- Our Aguas Negras River Lodge and campsites are located on the margin of the river so that we will not need to carry the equipment for long distances, but you will need to be able to transport your own luggage for short distances.
- We´ll ask that everyone assist in setting up the campsites.
- We´ll visit the most pristine and remote area of the Cuyabeno Reserve and in order to reach our furthest destination we´ll need to travel a total distance of around 200Km in a five day trip.
- The Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve is a protected area and to get there we´ll have to drive throughout Oil installations, secondary forest and farms. Once we enter the Reserve the
landscape will change into a beautiful pristine Amazon Rainforest.