TRIP A - AGUARICO & CUYABENO RIVERS 4 DAYS / 3 NIGHTS
FOR EVERYONE – DEEP IN THE JUNGLE WITH 3 NIGHTS AT AGUAS NEGRAS RIVER LODGE
This tour is of an easy level designed for everyone who loves Nature at its best.
DAY 1.– LAGO AGRIO – AGUARICO RIVER – CUYABENO RIVER – AGUAS NEGRAS RIVER LODGE
Your journey stars with a 2 hour drive from Lago Agrio (9:30am) to “Tierras Orientales” Village at shore of the Aguarico River. Here we´ll start our fantastic Amazon Rainforest experience by
navigating on a motorized canoe downstream along this beautiful white water river. After approximately 2.5 hours of navigation we´ll arrive at the mouth of the Cuyabeno River, a small and breathtaking black water river which is a tributary of the Aguarico. During this first relaxing journey we`ll make a stop for a delicious picnic lunch and if you wish, a refreshing swim. We´ll continue navigating upstream along the Cuyabeno river to our Aguas Negras lodge camp (45 min approx.) During this journey we´ll have great chances of watching wildlife including the legendary pink and the grey Fresh water Dolphins (Inia geoffrensis and Sotalia fluviatilis). Our staff will welcome you with a cold drink before accompany you to your cabin. At night and before dinner we`ll take a short hike where it is possible to see giant insects, spiders, snakes and enjoy the fantastic sounds of the night life in the Amazon. Return to the Lodge. Dinner.
DAY 2. – AGUAS NEGRAS RIVER LODGE
Early in the morning we´ll navigate towards a place called “Saladero” or Salt licks (Clay Licks) where parrots of different species show up in large numbers to get the minerals they need to help digest toxics they have consumed with their diet. Under favorable conditions and with some luck, we´ll enjoy this natural spectacle. We`ll also visit a “Bird Watching Tower”, this is a fantastic effort from the Native community that consists in a tower built around a giant Ceibo Tree. The platform at the top will allow you to observe a beautiful landscape.
After breakfast we´ll start our day with a hike in the marvelous primary Amazon rainforest, one of the most biologically rich places on Earth. Here our experienced naturalist guide will explain to us the use of plants for the native´s survival. During the walk we´ll also have a chance to admire the majestic Kapoc (Ceiba Pentandra) a giant tree that towers over the rest of the forest. After the walk we´ll have time for a refreshing swim. After Lunch it will be a time to relax at the lodge. Late in the afternoon we´ll navigate slowly up Cuyabeno River looking for new species of wildlife until the Sun sets over a beautiful landscape. In the night and from the motorized canoe we´ll navigate downstream towards our Lodge. On the way we´ll search for wildlife which include night birds, Snakes, Bats, Caimans, Frogs and more. Return to the Lodge and Dinner.
DAY 3. – AGUAS NEGRAS RIVER LODGE
After breakfast we´ll explore downstream of the Cuyabeno river by paddling canoe. During this quieter and enjoyable journey, you´ll have excellent chances of spotting wildlife including parrots and Macaws, Herons, Egrets, Toucans and many other different species of birds. With some luck we´ll see some of the 10 species of Monkeys that live in the Cuyabeno Wild life Reserve.
Return to the lodge. Today for lunch we´ll enjoy “Maito” a typical delicious traditional Kichwa meal. The Maito is an Amazonian dish that consists of a wrap of fish meat, chontakuru; vegetables such as palmito, chontaduro (fruit of the palm) or yuyo scribble (edible fern that grows in the Amazon); fish and vegetables are seasoned with salt and wrapped in bijao leaves (llaki panga).
In the afternoon and by motorized canoe we´ll navigate towards the “Aguas Negras River” to explore this beautiful black water river.
At night we`ll take a second short hike to enjoy the night life in the Amazon. Return to the Lodge. Farewell Dinner.
DAY 4. – AGUAS NEGRAS RIVER LODGE – AGUARICO RIVER – LAGO AGRIO
Early in the morning we´ll go for a walk in primary forest with good chances of watching fantastic wildlife. After breakfast we´ll navigate slowly downstream along the Cuyabeno River towards Aguarico River. Once on Aguarico we´ll navigate upstream to Tierras Orientales located at the shore of the river. During the way we´ll enjoy a delicious picnic lunch. From Tierras Orientales our car will drive us back to Lago Agrio (arrival at about 3- 4 pm.). From Lago Agrio you can take a bus or flight back to Quito.
THE 5 DAY EXTENSION PROGRAM INCLUDES 2 DAYS PADDLING CANOE ACTIVITIES INCLUDING 1 NIGHT EXCITING CAMPING EXPERIENCE CHECK OUR FANTASTIC ADVENTURES TOURS: 7 DAY PADDLING CUYABENO AND OUR 7 DAY CUYABENO AND LAGARTO COCHA RIVER (BORDER WITH PERU)
INCLUDED IN OUR SERVICES:
Transportation from Lago Agrio (Bus & Canoe), experienced bilingual naturalist guide / translator, Accommodation in the Lodge, rubber boots (up to No 45), Rain coat (Poncho), life jackets, Lunch and dinner on the first day, Three meals a day on the next days and breakfast and lunch on the last day, purified bottled water, tea, coffee, cuisine that caters vegetarians and vegans, airport and bus station transfers in Lago Agrio.
Your transport Quito – Lago Agrio – Quito, Accommodation and meals in Lago Agrio, Additional beverages and tips, souvenirs from native communities, $5 Bird watching tower visit (to be paid directly to the Natives), Any no specified service.
RECOMMENDED PERSONAL EQUIPMENT
You must bring your original Passport, Long-sleeved T-shirts, T-shirts, Cotton socks, Shorts, Sandals or walking shoes, Light waterproof wind-breaker, First aid kit, Swimming suit and towel, Hat or cap, Sunglasses with a strap, One small waterproof daypack, Insect repellent, Sun block and Sunburn lotion, Zip lock plastic bags, Camera and spare camera batteries, Flashlight (torch) with spare batteries, Binoculars, Notepad/pen.
IMPORTANT FACTS ABOUT YOUR TRIP
- Please remember that Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve is a stunning area, one of the most complex and biodiverse richest places on earth that contains a great amount of wildlife. We will explore a Pristine Rain Forest area where a few tourists visit and few native people live, therefore chances of watching wildlife are great. Every day by canoe and on foot we´ll be searching for wildlife including Macaws, Parrots, Toucans, Monkeys, Freshwater dolphins, Caimans and Anacondas. However observing wildlife in their natural environment depends of factors that include weather conditions and some luck.
- You will be walking slowly in primary forest on trails opened by the natives that in some areas implies crossing by flooded and muddy areas, for this we`ll provide you with rubber boots. In general the terrain is flat and do not demand much effort. A maximum walking time is of approximate 2 hours at a time.
- Please remember that the name Rainforest comes precisely from the 4000mm (about 12 feet) of rain it receives a year. Our canoes, motorized canoes or paddling canoes do not have roof so please expect heavy rain at any time. Our canoes are comfortable and provided with sits for two people each one with cushions and life jackets. Your luggage will be covered and protected against rain water. During all the navigation journeys you`ll always have access to cold drinks.
- Our Lodge is located on the margin of the river so that we will not need to carry the equipment for long distances. Our team will help you with your heavy luggage.
- We´ll visit the most pristine and remote area of the Cuyabeno Reserve and in order to reach our furthest destination we´ll need to travel by motorized canoe a distance of around 200Km (return trip in a 4 Day Tour)
- The Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve is a protected area and to get there we´ll have to drive and navigate throughout Oil installations, secondary forest and farms. Once we enter the Reserve the landscape will change into a beautiful pristine Amazon Rainforest.